William Shenstone, an eighteenth century poet wrote, “for two hundred years the inns and alehouses of Epsom and Ewell provided a place to meet, do business, gather with friends and find entertainment. There were hostelries for all levels of society from London merchants enjoying a day in the countryside to working-class enthusiasts joining a friendly society or raffling a pig. Stagecoaches, carters and weary walkers stopped on their journeys, and the inns made their contribution to the commercial and social developments which transformed two quiet Surrey villages into a town and its satellite”. Historical sources reveal that the site upon which the Wheatsheaf is located has been licensed since 1456 and in the early part on the nineteenth century it was known as the King William IV (not to be confused with the inn of the same name in Ewell High Street - now an Italian Restaurant). Around 1838 cottages developed along Kingston Road and the beerhouse was replaced by a public house. The current structure, which remains largely unchanged, dates from 1858 when the pub became known as the Wheatsheaf.
Today, the Wheatsheaf remains a genuinely unspoilt traditional village pub with an easy going atmosphere. The interior has been kept stylishly simple with cream paintwork and on the walls are photographs of Ewell from bygone days. There are two comfortable carpeted rooms with open log fires, served by a single bar. We don’t try to be anything other than a traditional pub selling cask marque approved real ales, premium lagers and a wide variety of wines and spirits. Combining old fashioned charm with excellent customer service, we believe that we have created the best friendly local around and we look forward to welcoming you to the Wheatsheaf in the very near future.
The Isleworth Brewery took ownership of the pub in the 1860’s and supplied the ornate leaded glass back bar and ornamental windows (both of which proudly remain in situ). In 1914 an Inland Revenue survey described the Wheatsheaf as having a bar with fittings, a sitting room, two cellars, two large and three small bedrooms, a kitchen, scullery and a good yard containing a pan tiled coach house and stables. Around the early twentieth century, the pub was purchased by the Watney, Combe and Reid brewery who were famous for their dark porter style of beer. In 1958, the company merged with another brewer to become Watney Mann and produced the popular bitter of the 1960’s and 1970’s, Watneys Red Barrel. Enterprise Inns bought the Wheatsheaf around 2000 to add to their portfolio. At one point, there were some fourteen pubs within the confines of Ewell village, but many have since long gone.